Ethical and Legal Liability Quiz
Learn to Protect Healthcare & Financial Data; Empower Your Practice & Let Go of the Worry
We are in a very sensitive business…protecting patient healthcare and financial data must be something we dedicate time to. To better understand possible liability and learn strategies to improve data protection, take the following patient security quiz:
- Do you use a secure system to communicate with patients (email, text, phone, video)?
- Are you storing patient data in local hard drives?
- Do you store patient financial data or credit card data in your office? (This is prohibited activity according to Visa and MC Rules and Regulations)
- Are you using external hardware such as swipe machines or tools? If so have you updated these to work with chipped cards?
- Is someone assisting you with billing and practice management; how are you protecting yourself with data breach in administration?
- Have you considered integrating merchant services and payments into a practice management system that intuitively tracks scheduling, billing, allows full file upload, handles patient records including all services, codes and diagnostics, as well as secure patient statements?
- Are you scheduling, billing, and documenting consultation with patients and colleagues when care coordinating?
- Do you securely store patient files? Have you considered using an integrative EMR system to store progress notes and patient records?
- Do you store a form of payment on file in a secure practice management system? Is this system encrypted and secure? *Top strategy to limit financial data breach.
- Is your intake paperwork up to date? Does it clearly outline your services, and all charges, policies, and procedures?
- Do you have proper up to date releases on all patients?
- Are patients signing new paperwork when you change policies, rates, procedures?
- Are you documenting all services in a patient health record including cancellations, consultations, and emergencies?
- Are you sending secure patient statements? Are these generated from a password protected, encrypted practice management system?
- Is your physical space secure?
- Have you protected your hardware from intrusion and data breach?
- Are you performing a scheduled audit to explore ways to better secure your practice?
- Have you set time aside to shop and compare practice management systems and products designed to streamline and protect your business?
- Have you considered how consolidating manual or isolated tasks and use of separate devices in favor for consolidated practice management may save time and money, all while ensuring your patient’s data is safe? *If you have already moved to a practice management system, please ensure you request information regarding ways your technology company protect healthcare and financial data.